International News Network

Breaking News
| | | | | | | |

Tracing the history of Subodhini Press in erstwhile Travancore

Tracing the history of Subodhini Press in erstwhile Travancore

January 17, 2018 09:46 AM
Tracing the history of Subodhini Press in erstwhile Travancore

Subodhini Press was once approved printers of Travancore High Court and several government commissions

V. Nagam Aiya in his Travancore State Manual, published in 1906, gives a list of private presses in erstwhile Travancore, the names of which have mostly vanished from popular memory. It is only in old books, worn with age, that we come across the names mentioned in the list. Saraswathivilasam Press (Attakulangara), Bhaskara Press (Pazhavangadi), Keralodayam and Western Star (Cantonment), Malabar Mail and Shanmukhavilasam Press (Puttenchanda) were some of the prominent names. ‘Subodhini Press’, another name mentioned is seen marked against Chala, where the press may have operated in the early 20th century.

A search for the history of Subodhini Press ended in Nenmanasherri Bungalow (better known as ‘Kukie’s Holiday Inn’), a charming old house, located in Luke’s Lane, near G.P.O. Nenmanasherri family and its occupants have a prominent place in the history of Thiruvananthapuram.

Nenmanasherri, established by C. Luke Vaidyan (1843-1894), the ‘Government Oculist’, is an offshoot of the Thayyil Vaidyan family of Thevalakkara. L.C. Koshy (1876-1934), the ‘Royal Oculist’ and the eldest son of Luke, carried forward the family tradition. Koshy, also an employee in the Travancore government service, was Assistant Superintendent of the Stationery Department, Huzur Cutcherry (Secretariat). He established the Subodhini Press in 1905. According to Nagam Aiya’s reference, it should be gathered that the press initially operated in the Chala Bazaar. “It is quite probable,” says Alexander Kurien, grandson of L.C. Koshy, “our family owned shops in Chala, and so the press might have been set up there initially.”

However, Kurien had never seen the press functioning in its days of glory, but recalls that the treadle press and related equipment were imported from Edinburgh. The press was later relocated to Statue, where it was housed in a building opposite the Huzur Cutcherry where L.C. Koshy worked.

“Following the untimely demise of my grandfather, the press was shifted to Nenmanasherri Bungalow, where it functioned in a large shed erected to the south of the house.”


Title issued by: Government Of India, Registrar of Newspaper for India-UPENG/2013/54180

2018 Arabian Times. All Rights Reserved. Designed & Developed By Teqza Infotech